Friday, March 25, 2005

The Start of The Real Presence Blog

I feel awful.
I've been a devout Catholic for only about four years now, so some basic tenants of Catholicism still take me by surprise. The meaning of Holy Week was one of those. And I feel awful.

I figured out for the first time this year that Holy Week is itself a week-long Mass. Here's how that works: the Mass warps time and space to make it all present. It starts with the triumphant entry into Jerusalem (the warp starts at the "Holy, Holy, Holy", where all heaven joins us. More on this in a later post.). It is, of course, the Lord's Supper. And it is the Sacrifice, the Real Presence, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, of Jesus Christ. The Sacrifice on the alter is not simply in remembrance of the crucifixion -- it is the crucifixion. And the resurrection is there too, as Jesus comes to life within us as we consume him.

So this year I realized that Holy Week was the same time warp, only it starts on Palm Sunday, and this time warp runs in real time. We celebrate mass again on Holy Thursday, the tabernacle is cleaned out, and the remaining consecrated hosts were moved in a procession from the main church to the school. Adoration, in front of the portable tabernacle, proceeded until midnight. The adoration is great, for we can make up, in a pitifully small way, for the apostles who fell asleep. Until midnight. At midnight we must all leave.

I just got home, and I feel awful. I just left Jesus, who in warped time, has just been arrested. And we all left the school, leaving Jesus all alone. Just like the apostles did. I feel awful. God help us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home