Friday, August 12, 2005

Eucharistic Devotion

I heard that someone said they thought I have a special devotion to the Eucharist. I could see how someone might make this mistake. I suppose I could say that I have a special devotion to John Paul the Great. Perhaps you could say I have a devotion to Mary (albeit a poor one). But I don't think that you can have a special devotion to the Eucharist.

We are called to give our entire lives to Jesus. And the Eucharist is Jesus. Special devotions, like one to Mary, are supposed to lead us closer to a complete gift of ourselves to Jesus. But since a devotion is really the gift of just a part of us, we can't possibly have a proper devotion to Jesus (without his grace), we can't have a proper devotion to the Eucharist. All we can do try, and pray for the grace to understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home